Monday, March 10, 2014

Post 1 (Yes, I really mean 1) and some stuff


This is the point where I need to change something. I've realized I've been putting off my project for weeks, and I kept telling myself I'd get back to it when my life got less crazy and hectic. But that hasn't happened, and it's not going to anytime soon. I told myself that once the robotics build season was over, I'd have more time to devote to this. But now it's competition season, and my entire weekends are devoted to competitions. And once that's over, I'll want to get a job, and then there will be something else. Sounds like a lot of flimsy excuses, right?  That's more or less my point here.

I think I'm too far behind to catch up on Japanese by May. And I appreciate the whole "it's not about succeeding" point, but I can't be happy with that when I know I didn't try enough. I could just try and jump back into it, but I don't think I'd be able to. The problem is largely me having convinced myself I can't do it, but having realized that doesn't help me. 

I've been tossing around ideas for how to salvage this, to make SOMETHING of 20 Time for myself. My first idea was to try and pull some kind of lesson from this, make my presentation about what I've learned, or maybe the cool people I met through this. The problem there is that I wouldn't have anything meaningful to do with the remaining time. 

Something that just occurred to me was to switch over to researching language theory in general, as the one thing that caught my interest more than anything with this project was the difference in thinking between the English language and Japanese, as well as the comparisons to Latin, which I am taking right now as a third-year. This gives me something to research, something I can dedicate time to, that I'm genuinely interested in. It will be easy to stick to because I already read up on this sort of thing when I'm bored. It wouldn't feel like a project, it would feel like something I'm doing because i want to learn. But this doesn't have the impact I want it to. I want to make something a little more powerful than "Languages are cool!" 

At this point, I'm stuck. By Friday I'm going to force myself to decide what to do. I've got vague ideas put together for a theme, something based on stress or pressure, depression or procrastination, but nothing solid that I can work with yet.


And Some Stuff
As fore the questions sent out over text, I figure I ought to address them directly as well.

What have I liked most about 20 Time this year?
Overall, this was a fantastic idea. The opportunity to basically take on an independent study (if that's your project) was an amazing opportunity, and for the people who did more original projects, while I can't speak for them, I was fascinated to see the directions they were taking it. I learned a lot from reading other blogs, particularly Will's "living the bible" thing. Although I'm not religious, it was interesting to get a perspective on the teachings of the bible, etc. I was really impressed with the suicide awareness project as well.

What didn't I like?
I honestly can't think of anything to complain about that wasn't my own fault. I think an encouragement of 2-person groups would be a good idea, to keep each other on track, but I don't know how practical that would be. And that's purely stemming from my inability to stay focused on my own project.

What would I do differently?
If you're asking what should be changed with the project, I liked it as is, save for the 2-person groups I mentioned. I really have nothing else worth saying.

If you're asking what I, personally, would do differently, I think I've pretty much covered that.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, what a change! It is great that you have decided to start over to find a project which makes you happier. Best of luck searching for and finding what you want to blog about. What are your other interests? What do you do for fun?
    It is hard to stay focused on a project when it is more independent but you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete